MOOCs are Massive Open Online Classrooms

Bonus page: No assignments associated with this topic at the moment.

If you haven't heard of MOOCs, now is a great time to explore them. They are being offered in a variety of formats by many, many different sources. Most are free, but not all. Most under discussion are offered by universities but few if any universities are awarding credit after completion.

Some are promoting blended MOOCs that combine in-class instruction with high quality MOOCs. Students would access content via the MOOC (readings, videos, online lectures, etc), in-class teachers would extend the content and provide other learning and feedback opportunities as happens in most traditional classrooms.

Read more about MOOCs here:
K-12 schools:
Higher Ed:
  • August 2013 Special edition of Campus Technology on The Rise of MOOCs
  • Rubber Hits the Road (article on if universities are granting credit for MOOCs)
  • MOOC Master's Degree -- Georgia Institute of Technology plans to offer a master’s degree in computer science through MOOCs. The plan is for Georgia Tech to provide the content and professors and to get 60 percent of the revenue, and for Udacity to offer the computer platform, provide course assistants and receive the other 40 percent. By the third year, the projection is for $14.3 million in costs and $4.7 million in profits.

Want to take a MOOC or other type of free, online course? Here's one source: OpenCulture. "The best free cultural & educational media on the web"
750 Online Courses from Top Universities
625 MOOCs from Great Universities

Copyright issues to consider
How will MOOCs Affect Fair Use and Copyright Compliance?


A Matter of Degrees-- In the future world of “credentialing,” do you still need college?